Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Device free Monday (AKA Mommy Monday)

Technology is great, however, I feel like it is replacing interpersonal communications, and that many people are addicted to their gadgets.
Zachary is 12, a pre-teen, and he loves video games.  He does not care about much of anything else.  You see Zachary is a naturally smart child, learning comes easy to him.  He is in several advanced classes, attends after school computer based math etc.  He is an easy child to raise.  My older two not so much, they were constantly into trouble, but they turned out great.
Last week I had a difficult time making Zachary get off the games. So we sat down and I told him he had to choose one day of the week that he would give up devices. We both agreed on Monday.

I am not going to lie, I was super excited to spend device free time with him.  I know how quick twelve years old turns into eighteen years old.  



When he got home I had decaf coffee waiting for him.  We both drank our coffee deciding on which game we were going to play first checkers or Phase 10.
We chose a movie together Click, with Adam Sandler.
We went for a nice walk since it was cooler out, talked about lots of stuff.
This afternoon was the most fun I have had in a long time...It made me realize how much we love each other. It also made me realize how mature and sensitive he is.
I am already planning what we are going to do next Monday.
Monday is my rest day from working out, so I cut the yard. We have a huge yard and I use a push mower so I did exercise a little yesterday!!!
Tomorrow I will fill you in on more of my baking adventures.  Have a great Tuesday



When you eat out at restaurants, do you spend most of the time on a device or actually talking with a real human?
How was your Monday?
Is your child more book smart than you? Mine is, and sometimes I feel really dumb.






12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! We adults could use a little less device time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at families when I dine out and it is so sad that they do not even speak, they just fidget around on their devices. Thanks

      Delete
  2. I really love this idea. I'm going to implement it. Except my kids are too young for electronics. But I like the idea of a mother/son date so I'll do that for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I promise you they will love it, and they will cherish the time you spend with them.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! When I eat out I try to leave my phone in my bag the whole time. Even when I eat dinner at home I try not to touch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I for some reason am having a really hard time accepting the fact that he is growing up so fast.

      Delete
  4. What a great fun idea! Love it and yes 12 does turn to 18 really fast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. He is my last and third son. I don't know what I am going to do with myself...

      Delete
  5. My husband and I have also been trying to put the phones away and spend quality time together. It's funny how when we go to dinners and look around, multiple people aren't even talking to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! My boyfriend and I put our phones away when we go out, but then often will sit through a quiet dinner. Go figure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Heather, is there an email address I can reach you at? :) I have something I think you are going to love!

    ReplyDelete