Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Still going strong day 9, check out this bread!!!!

I have a nine mile run scheduled for today.  I will run to the gym, take the hour long spin class, do a little strength and run back home.  This will be the first longer run since I had a muscle issue last week and I am praying everything goes as planned.  
I usually keep my pace at about a eight minute mile. I am trying VERY hard to get it to a seven thirty which would make me super happy!!!!
I had a mini heart attack yesterday.  It was raining and I drove to the bus stop to pick up Zachary.  The bus pulled up dropped off the kids and NO ZACHARY.  My heart sank, a million different things went through my mind. Did he fall asleep on the bus? Did he have something afterschool and I forgot? Was he hurt and I missed a phone call?  I immediately drove back to the house and as soon as I got close I see Zachary walking up the sidewalk drenched. He failed to inform me that he decided to use the other  bus stop, I was so relieved!!! 
Another day down in my baking challenge and I nailed this recipe. Rustic Italian Bread.  This seriously took all day to make.  First I had to make a sponge (really I did)  This is a "baking" sponge
It is bread flour, warm water and rapid rise yeast.  This is one bowl I was not licking!!!!  It had to sit for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours. I was not waiting 24 hours, I do have a life. The purpose of a sponge is to "create a mildly sour and nutty flavor."  When the sponge is added to the dough, it creates a "chewier more complex flavor than breads made with unfermented commercial yeast."
In addition to the sponge I had to make another small batch of dough.
I added the sponge to the dough and let it rest for an hour and a half, turning every thirty minutes.
Finally after several hours of doughbsitting (I made that up)  I baked it.  
OMG.....I MADE THIS....AND IT IS DELICIOUS....CRUNCHY OUTSIDE....CHEWY INSIDE....HUGE ASS....BREAD!!!!!!!!
This is about six inches wide and eighteen inches long.  I keep amazing myself with these recipes and cannot wait to see what else I am going to make.  Seriously this is the best thing I have made hands down...
Thanks for the great comments you have been leaving it is such positive feedback and I love you all for it.
Have a great Thursday!!!

Have you ever heard of a baking sponge?  Yesterday was the first time!!!!
What is the best thing you ever cooked/baked?
Have you been sticking to your workout this week?














17 comments:

  1. Wow, that bread looks good! I have to admit that as much as I love homemade bread, I just don't have the time or patience for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take patience, which I miracuously gained after 3 sons, lol.
      Have a great day Wendy

      Delete
  2. Yum!!! This is totally beyond my baking skills! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I was super happy with the results!!!

      Delete
  3. Yum!!! This is totally beyond my baking skills! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, your bread looks so professional! And no, I had no idea a baking sponge existed. Baking and I have a rather sporadic relationship. And I've been sticking to my workouts this week but todays 8 miles in the rain was not my favorite run ever that's for sure. Oh well, at least it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go on your 8 miles!!! You are dedicated.. Thanks

      Delete
  5. This looks so good! I have never tried to make bread. It wouldnt last very long in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it late but I was so excited I took my son who was already asleep a piece to try. Thanks Lisa

      Delete
  6. That bread looks amazing! I feel like I can smell it through the screen. I bet your house smelled heavenley after that :) Great job on your run, and I'm glad your son was ok! That had to have been terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretch!!! It smelled so good. He is the third of three sons, I never stop worrying about them.

      Delete
  7. That bread looks like it came from a bakery! I'm super impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it smelled like a bakery, and it tasted so good. I am warming it up to dip in oil and seasonings.

      Delete
  8. thanks It is delicious. I am still eating it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread looks so good. I just can't seem to turn on my oven right now since it is so hot outside! I have been wanting to make cupcakes for the last two weeks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, cooler weather shoud be on the way. I love cupcakes!!!

      Delete