Sunday, September 13, 2015

Essential refrigerator baking items

Every morning I literally have to tell myself to stay positive and be happy.  I hope one day this will come natural for me and I don't have to tell myself.  Rock bottom is not where I want to ever re-visit.
I don't know if I mentioned that the reason I am doing this baking challenge is because I have literally watched Julie and Julia 1,000,013 times!!!!  I absolutely adore that movie.  I used to watch Julia Childs when I was younger.  

Alright moving on, this is not a complete list of all the items you could possibly need, just what you should have on hand when baking.

BUTTERMILK- I use the cultured lowfat version which can be purchased at any grocery store.  Also if you are in a bind you can make your own buttermilk at home by taking one cup of milk and mixing in one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.  I actually tried this one and it worked great.  
BUTTER- I have used sooooooo much butter these last two weeks, like five pounds.  There are basically two types of butter salted and unsalted.  My recipes all call for unsalted so that is all I have on hand.  NEVER use margarine in place of salt, you will be cheating yourself, real butter makes everything taste better.
EGGS- I use regular large eggs from the grocery store.  I actually used dozen in one day making two recipes. So back to the store I went to get more.
HEAVY CREAM- I keep a small container on hand because a lot of other meals I cook call for heavy cream.
PLAIN YOGURT- Many of the quick bread recipes use yogurt to keep the bread moist.
That is pretty much all you really need to have on hand in your refrigerator for many recipes!!!!
Guess what I have planned today!!!!!  Long run wohoo!!

What do you eat on your long run? I love gummy bears
Do you eat everything in your house when you get back from a run?
Do you use butter or margarine?





4 comments:

  1. Like you, I have to tell myself every day to stay positive. I"m not a naturally positive person. It's a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to eat raisins on long runs. I'd like to start experimenting with real food again instead of gels. I'd like to try the jelly belly sport beans. Hope you had a good long run!

    ReplyDelete